Monday, April 14, 2014

Searching for a new RA doctor...ugh...benefits of hobbies and Pinterest !!!



Yellow Hammer



When the issue of Rheumatoid Arthritis comes up most people think about pain and inflammation and how it affects every day life.  There are so many underlying issues that RA patients must deal with on a daily basis.   One major problem is depression and how it affects RA patients.  Writing entries in this blog has helped me.   I am not the type of person who surfs the net every day trying to learn more about the disease.   I am trying to live and forget the disease that has changed my life.

The more I read the more depressing the disease.   I have to have outlets in order to keep myself going.   Being an artist helps at times and other times I have to make myself paint.  Getting started is hard but once the painting process begins, it truly does take me away.   The same goes for crocheting.  I enjoy making throws and scarves because they are relaxing and somewhat mindless tasks.  You also reap the benefits of taking your mind off your troubles and when you finish a project, you feel fulfilled.

After to moving to a new town, I have found it very difficult and depressing not having friends in a new area.  Also after having a wonderful RA doctor for several years, taking on the process of finding a new one is not my idea of fun. 

As I read my Facebook news feed this morning I came across the following article about moving to a a new town and searching for a doctor:


http://www.everydayhealth.com/news/things-arthritis-patients-wish-their-docs-would-do/

A quote from this article hit home with me,  “RA patients will fall into depression because we’re mourning the people we once were".  I had never thought of it this way but it is so true.  I am 62 years old and in my mind I am still young, but thinking of what I CAN'T do anymore really sets of huge bouts of depression.

Another reason for finding a new hobby or re-visiting an old one can benefit RA sufferers.

Update:   It’s now January, 2019.  Have been here a number of years now and I did find a wonderful RA doctor, Dr Christopher Adams and have met some wonderful, caring people through his office.  Don’t know what I would do without them.  The struggle is still real every single day.



Also when reading all the "happy, happy" posts on Facebook gets you down, I have found another relaxing hobby, Pinterest !   When all you feel like doing is sitting at the computer, try Pinterest.  It will take you away and yes, make you feel good.  And you ask, "what is it"?  Pinterest is a visual discovery tool that people use to collect ideas for projects and interests.  People create and share collections (called "boards") of visual bookmarks (called "pins") that they use to do things like plan trips, projects, hobbies, diy, household hints, recipes, wish lists and anything you are interested in.  It is a huge file cabinet of pictures and information that you can refer to later.  Here is a link to Pinterest that explains in better detail.   Jump in and try it for yourself, but watch out, it IS addictive.

about.pinterest.com

If you are, for instance, an avid photographer, you can also upload your own photos to Pinterest for others to enjoy.  And for recipes or how-to videos for that new stitch you want to try later, it's always there.  No keeping up with bits and pieces of paper that you always misplace.

Here is my Pinterest page....and yes I have a "Board" entitled "Living with Rheumatoid Arthritis" along with many other interests...take a look and get started pinning!

http://www.pinterest.com/johnel52/



Headboard by: Johnel







No comments:

Post a Comment