Monday, June 23, 2014

#Support Groups for #RA are a bad idea?...#Crochet for your health !













Link: http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/mommy-mental-health/201208/when-support-groups-are-bad-idea



Just a link to an article I found interesting:

http://www.creakyjoints.org/blogs/ra-academe/who-has-ra-worst



I recently joined a couple of Facebook groups made up of people with #Rheumatoid Arthritis because I thought it would be good for me.   I thought it would help me get through the day with people who understood this disease. Some posts are nice and refreshing, but I need to "weed out" the ones that are so disturbing to me.  Remember what works for some people doesn't work for the majority.

But I have noticed that I am more depressed because I am reading more and more and people are sharing more and more.   What's up with this feeling?   I am beginning to think I am one of those people who doesn't need to be in a support group…how can that be?  According to "#Psychology Today", I need to shop around and not feel bad that the group I chose wasn't a "fit" for me.

Also these groups I joined were "on-line" groups and people from all over wanting information, grasping for relief, complaining about doctors, praising doctors and this is all so very depressing (but needed) so it is truly hard to break off from the groups.  When you are also dealing with ISOLATION, like I am, POSITIVE thoughts and posts are needed.





http://rheumatoidarthritissupport.blogspot.com/2009/03/those-unpredictable-ra-flares.html

Moving to a new town two years ago was a good idea.  But the more I isolate myself the worse I withdraw from everything.  Let's face it not having any friends where you live is isolating enough.  I love to crochet and have visited the local yarn shop and they were very nice.  So why haven't I gone back to just hang out?  


Well, if you plan an activity, like going to the yarn shop, for tomorrow, you never know how you will feel the next morning.   If you feel well, then go, but if you don't, you can't even try to go.  So that makes you not want to plan the activity the next time.   We all know how frustrating this can be, not only for yourself, but others involved.


I tried to locate a #support group in my area and haven't found one.  I think it would nice to form a group that is small, people have same interests and hobbies to they could meet, have coffee, bring their craft and socialize and not dwell on the negative aspects of this disease.

I know we all need an outlet to discuss the disease, but I believe we need more than that.  We need to be positive, laugh and enjoy each other as well.

 Don't get me wrong, support groups are great and you always love hearing a good report, but when we sit and read about all the disasters it really brings you down.    Everyone is trying to cope with this disease, everyone needs family and friend support, everyone needs a good doctor, everyone ALSO needs positive days too.  

Everyone has "flares" which are awfully painful but I find mine are most often brought on by stress.  You have to admit only reading and "googling" every aspect of this disease can only bring you down.  Give yourself a break and search for the good.   If you are going to read all the negatives every day, when you are finished, read SOMETHING POSITIVE and end on a good note.   It helps !

 

One of the most important things I find is having a hobby.  If you truly have a lot of time on your hands, #Crochet a #Bus !!!

Check out this link:

http://yarnobsession.com/health-benefits-of-crochet/

  Just discovered this on Google:  Kathryn Vercillo is the author of Crochet Saved My Life

http://www.crochetsavedmylife.com/


Cannot wait to read and learn more on this subject.  Will update later.

Johnel's photo


SLOW DOWN...Don't get all upset and feel like I am bashing Support Groups, I'm just saying we need to have positive reactions in our day-to-day lives.   Read what you need, but leave the rest behind and end your daily reading on a positive note !





1 comment:

  1. I was been transformed to a Vampire through the help of a vampire spell member who lives in Florida, it was just as Easy as possible, at first i was thinking it going to take a while for my ( D.N.A.) to respond to the spell, all i did was just to follow the procedure that i was been told, and i bet you that procedure I took change my entire life to something i ever desire, freedom, sickness free, pains free, fame, influence, connections and even more that i can. If your dream is to become a powerful person in life contact. Vampirelord7878@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete