Thursday, January 23, 2014

Crochet 'n Go...#Crocheting with #Rheumatoid Arthritis....

JLo's Throw




As a little girl, my grandmother taught me to crochet.   She was a professional seamstress and all-around talented lady.   I didn't realize how talented and artistic she was until I was much older.  She would go into a department store with me and I could show her a dress, pair of pants, blazer or any item of clothing and she would go home and make the pattern.   No iPhone with cameras back then....it was all in that beautiful mind of hers.  I guess I thought all grandmothers sewed and could make anything your heart desired.

From shorts to prom dresses, she made it.  Back to crocheting...she made me chain to infinity and back.  Now I know she was not just keeping me busy and out of her hair she was teaching me the basic chain but also how to work on proper tension.   When she felt I had learned, we began with basic stitches.   I did rows and rows of single crochet.  This is a skill you never forget and will give you hours of "me" time and being lost in another world.  We began with afghans (now called "throws").   Choosing the colors was the key.   Also, reading patterns....ugh, but well worth the studying.   I could make anything from throws to sweaters, but I never liked making clothing.   I have tried handbags but I still get the most satisfaction from throws.    Color and texture are the most important factors beyond your stitches that you can acquire.

I learned to knit a few years ago, but found #crocheting was much easier on the joints than knitting.

JLo's Throw


JLo's Throw was worked vertically and all single #crochet. Directions:  Chain in a simple color (I like basic grey) and Size J hook (also crochet loosely throughout because you are using two yarns) for your foundation chain.  Remember you are crocheting vertically so your chain should be long enough to cover your body from head to toe.  Row 1 -Turn then *chain one, single crochet in first BL (Back Loop) until the end, turn and repeat to turn.  Now is where the fun begins. Pull out your "stash" (I know you have a bunch of yarn stashed from other projects or you just buy great yarn when you see it) and let your imagination take over.  You will always use a base yarn like Caron Simply Soft and now you add a "#funky" yarn with it to begin the next row.  With both yarn choices together turn and chain one, then single crochet in first BL until the end. Then drop the "Funky" yarn and continue for a couple of rows with just your base yarn.   NOW, change color of base yarn and crochet another row, then add your choice of "Funky" yarn, crochet another row, drop Funky yarn and continue with a couple of rows.   This all there is to it.  Continue until you reach the width you would like your throw to be.  As you can see, every five to six inches I used black and white...it tends to pull the whole throw together and be aesthetically pleasing.  Also, I try to end the throw with the base yarn color I began with, so make sure you have enough yarn to end your project.  Below is a photo of some of the "Funky" yarns I used with my base yarn.  Not many stores carry these yarns anymore, so the Internet is the way to go.

"Funky" yarns


I found it much easier to work vertically since you change yarn so often.   When it was possible, I used #Caron's Simply soft yarn which is a good weight because I used one strand of the #Simply Soft along with one funky yarn.



Now for the fringe:  You can put the regular fringe (many guides on Internet or get a copy of  "#The Crochet Answer Book" by Edie Eckman  Love this book especially when you haven't crocheted in a while and forget symbols or certain stitches.  It is pocket-sized and easy to carry in your crochet bag.  Prices range from ‎$8.49 to $11.89 and even cheaper on Ebay) or go with my choice of crocheted loops.   I chose black (Caron's Simply Soft) and H size hook for my fringe to make it cohesive with the colors since I used black and white throughout the design.

Single crochet across the bottom of your throw, when you get to the end, turn and chain 30 (you can use more or less chains but in my opinion, you need at least 30 (because your finished loop will be 15 chains) for the size of the throw or it will look skimpy), *SL ST in first SC (front and back loops), (NOW you have your first loop fringe) then SC in next SC, Chain 30, slip stitch into same SC, SC in next SC*  Repeat until end..VOILA fringe.   Now repeat on other end of throw.

To this day, browsing in a yarn store is like a shot of adrenaline for me.  There are so many gorgeous yarns made today and the possibilities are endless.

War Eagle Scarf


 This scarf is also worked in single crochet throughout.  The stitch I used was the Grit Stitch.  Just follow the link for free instructions:   http://newstitchaday.com/how-to-crochet-the-single-crochet-grit-stitch/ 

I used the Blue and Orange (Auburn Fan) and a funky orange yarn.  I found a good video for instructions on this type of fringe.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsG_4LbnAng

Scarves are great, fast and simple projects.  Easy to throw-and-go when you are on the move and need to busy yourself while waiting in the #Rheumatologist's office. 

Since my #Rheumatoid Arthritis is in remission at the moment, it is much easier to crochet and actually finish a project.  I have used ice bags many times after crocheting for long periods of time.  If you haven't discovered, ice works wonders for inflamed joints....NO HEAT for me.

Follow this link for more information on #Rheumatoid Arthritis Awareness Day, February 2, 2014:

http://rawarrior.com/what-would-rheumatoid-awareness-mean-to-you/

No comments:

Post a Comment