Friday, January 3, 2014

Art, cooking and a brief summary of living with RA during the holidays!!!



"Deer Me" by: Johnel (sold)



Since I live in an area where #wildlife abounds and I love to photograph all the creatures in the landscape, I decided to begin a series of wildlife abstracts.  These are aimed at all the ladies who are married to hunters and are trying to decorate their homes without an abundance of "dead heads" looking at you all around the house!!!   These #wildlife paintings appeal to both hunter and their female counterparts.   

For you Rheumy's out there taking #Prednisone....let's blame everything on it......worst Christmas on record for me......No. 1...RA...it sucks....I feel like an old woman stuck in a middle-aged body....and every one acts like I'm old .....and why shouldn't they think I'm old.   No one wants to drag an old bitch around with them.   I don't get asked to go have fun and I wonder, why?   I know why, who wants to hang out with me, I don't even want to hang out with me.

I am mean.....not on the inside.......but no one can see that far into my being.   It is the best defense mechanism because no one bothers you.   The only time I let people in is when I cry.   Crying can be a good thing, therapeutic, they say....not so much.  Crying drains me of every bit of life left.....and makes others miserable, because they want to help and can't.   The question, what is wrong?    The answer, I don't know.   I really do know but my heart doesn't let me talk. (This is where the professional comes in...TELL your doctor how you feel)  Because of insurance problems, (upon which I will not elaborate, just upsets me) I haven't been able to see my Rheumatologist, but I have an appointment in January, YAHOO)

Instead of being the Griswold's this year and laughing about the tragedies of the holidays, I'm crying... I am miserable......For any of you out there that have been diagnosed with RA, you know that worry and anxiety only exacerbates your symptoms.

Now the good news, all that said and done....2014 is going to be a better year!!!   Turning over a positive leaf!!!

Let's get to the good stuff!!!

Dinner tonight...#Salmon Croquettes.....yum..

Recipe

3 -14 3/4 oz. cans of Double Q Salmon
3 eggs
3 heaping T Worcestershire Sauce
1 tsp - Tabasco Sauce
1 large Russet or Idaho potato, peeled and cooked
1 tsp - salt
pepper
3 or 4 handfuls of crushed (much better than bread crumbs for bonding agent) Kellog's K cereal

Directions

Drain and remove salmon from can....carefully remove bones...and put in large bowl
add rest of ingredients and mush together.  Heat 1/2 inch of canola oil in skillet and shape mixture into oval shaped croquettes.  Fry until browned and flip...cook til golden brown.  Only turn one time.

Drain on paper towels and enjoy.  These have been approved by picky kids!  (Dipping sauce:  Heinz Ketchup, but you can get fancy and use your own dipping sauce)



Heart of Dixie says:  "no Southern cornbread has sugar or flour in it"  !!!  Got that?

Mack's (my grandmother's) #Cornbread Recipe:



Basic....you can double or triple recipe and use an iron skillet (which I prefer)

6 cornbread muffins:

Ingredients:

1 1/3 cup of Self-Rising Cornmeal (White)  do not buy one with flour in it!!!
1 Egg
1 cup buttermilk (I use non-fat)
Canola Oil

Preheat oven to 400 degrees

Put 1/2 tsp canola oil in each muffin tin and place in oven....(for iron skillet, just cover bottom with canola oil (of course by grandmother used bacon grease!)

Mix eggs and cornmeal then add buttermilk a little at a time (mixing with a spoon not a mixer).  Do not put too much milk in to make it runny, should be thick.

When oil in muffin tin gets hot and starts to smoke, fill each cup 3/4 of way full....

Bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown around edges.  Remove from oven and butter...Enjoy


"Fleur de Lis" by Johnel - sold







No comments:

Post a Comment